Gabriel Preil: Beyond Sleep And Waking (From Hebrew)

Beyond Sleep and Waking
By Gabriel Preil
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

My friend is translating Shakespeare.
He reads passages of living Hebrew
on a night asleep as usual, and I
have the chill blaze of boredom, 
the torpor of a frightened city.

I keep thinking
of the crude unripeness of things,
of the meaning of So What.
It would be good
If the flighty cherry buds
and the cool of receding waves
were taken away from me.

Lacking that, I pray Someone
let me be
like Julius Caesar slain,
or Hamlet felled by his riddle,
and my loves buried
beyond all sleep and waking.

The Original:


מעבר לשינה ויקיצה
גבריאל פרייל

ידידי מתרגם את שקספיר.
הוא קורא פסוקי ערברית חיים
בלילה הישן לו כמנהגו ואני
עם לבת השיעמום, עם
קיפאון עיר–פחדים.

אני מאריך לחשוב
על בוסר הדברים,
על משמעות ה"מה בכך’"
טוב יהיה איפוא
אם יוקח ממני
ניצן הדובדבן המתעלם
צנן הגל הנרתע.

במקום זה אבקש ממי
לתת לי להיות 
כיוליוס קיסר הקטול, 
כהמלט רצוח חידתו.
מעבר לכל שינה ויקיצה
קבורות אהבותי.


No comments:

Post a Comment